Thursday, August 29, 2013

3 Despicable Deeds of Like / Share



Call me anti-social or simply obstinate, but I truly dislike being told to take action that I believe is benign participation, which in reality disguises someone else’s gain to further their agenda.
My focus: the ubiquitous “Please Like / Share” tease on inspirational, thought-provoking or humorous photos / texts, posted on social network platforms.
Though this article does not strictly reflect the art of writing, it does apply to what we publish or the creative writing / art we link to in our social networks.
It’s time for a rant …
1) As early as 2011, reports noted that MANY (if not most) of those contrived heart-string messages are tied to advertising or at worst, malicious software, and every time you Like / Share it, someone somewhere chants cha-ching!

Don’t believe me? The relatively unbiased Wikipedia states it rather matter-of-factly, “When loading a web page which has the Like button enabled, the user's browser connects to Facebook's servers, which record the URL being visited, and the visitor's IP address and Facebook ID (if logged in).” Aren’t you logged into Facebook most of the day? Uh-huh. Thought so.
Yes, that’s ANY website you visit. Not just Facebook. And it isn’t even necessary to click on the Like button. Cool, huh? Not so much.
2) By now, we all know the routine; however, image creators continue to add text to their messages w/a plea BEGGING me to Like and Share. It simply irritates (see #1 above)—most especially if they have been culled from other supposedly well-meaning sources, as opposed to someone in my network.
That isn’t to say we shouldn’t enjoy seeing a prophetic Albert Einstein quote or should steel our hearts against the suffering of others. However, where did the original message begin? Created by you, someone in your network, or a company seeking advertising opportunities based on our feelings?
If inspired in any way by your post, or one shared from a site predominantly comprised of emotion-based messages, I will—of my own volition—Like or Share it, at my discretion. But don’t count on it.
#3 is my all-time favorite NOT to like …
 … those that try to guilt me into action. I harbor enough self-effacing insecurities without someone else adding cr*p to the pile …
3) “Like / Share this if …” or “Ignore if you don’t have a heart …” or “Share this if you love …” your daughter / son / mother / father / crazy aunt. I mean really!!
Even if I do love my crazy aunt, a) I would rather tell her personally than post it on a public forum, and b) I won’t Share it just because I was told to. Again, I have a mind of my own, thank you.
I don’t believe in guilting someone over subtly ignoble and superficial posts. Trust me, it will be a profound and personal moment if I ever try to lay guilt at your feet (or rub it in your hair … or flick it at you like a spoonful of pudding …). I know many of you share my opinion, without physical evidence of it and are capable of independent decisions.
Although I don’t care if you share this or not, I hope you do for educational purposes. I promise, if you Like / Share this blog … you will not receive unwanted email, you won’t be stalked online, and I won’t show up for Sunday dinner … well, maybe not.
If you’re in my network and you share an infographic (especially) or other cutesy / profound post obviously created by someone else, I may laugh aloud or nod my head in silent agreement, but rarely will I click the Like or Share buttons. Your original creations however, I will happily Like / Share / Comment, and enjoy your ingenuity.
It’s a sad commentary on our culture to learn we are betrayed by an outwardly innocent gesture wrapped in an invisible web of lies. Beware the deceptiveness and often malicious agendas of others who prey on our sentiments (especially businesses and the social networks themselves).
Once again the nefarious and greedy side of society prevails. Shame on them.
Ciao for now,




LinDee Rochelle is available to speak to your group, organization, or school, about writing/publishing; and how to begin and maintain a Living Legacy, for sentiment or for sale. Contact LinDee@PenchantforPenning.com, or call 858-292-5288. Events can be scheduled live in San Diego, or via Skype.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be opinionated, but respectful, please! There will be a slight delay prior to your comment appearing, while it is reviewed. Thank you for commenting. Enjoy your day!