Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Own a Computer? How Does It Feel to be a Victim?



In our NewWorld Order of technology over common sense, we are not only slaves to our machines, we are hostages to their manufacturers and providers.

Our emotional stability and peace of mind is bound and gagged, and our bank accounts are being robbed at the same time. Shame on you, Microsoft, Apple, and so many more.

The scene mirrors a common crime – an unwitting victim may have taken a slight risk in walking alone through a darkened parking lot after the bar closed – but that does not give anyone the right to kidnap and pillage a hardworking citizen.

A little dramatic? Perhaps. But I’m a writer (hence the drama), editor, and a Boomer on a TIGHT budget, and don’t appreciate my computer (and my dollars) being held hostage by a rich conglomerate.

How? With the (practically) minute-by-minute upgraded devices we are FORCED to purchase. It may seem I am arguing for the stagnation of technology, but I am actually advocating freedom.

Freedom to choose between “keeping up with the Joneses” and simply content with the equipment we have at the moment, which works just fine for our purposes.

Be honest now – do you USE all of the features on your current computer?? I’ll bet not – so what is the attraction for you to upgrade?

Remember these?
I own a perfectly good, extremely efficient computer with the MS Windows XP operatingsystem. It has been the most stable of all of the operating systems I’ve ever had – and I’m old – I purchased my first IBM computer in 1990. Unsuspecting, I was just leaving the bar …

Microsoft wants customers to switch to its Windows 8 operating system so badly that it's willing to abandon nearly 30% of the entire personal computer market,” says Daniel Kline of The Motley Fool. [Any bolding is mine, for emphasis.]

Mr. Kline quoted directly from Microsoft: “(If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive anti-malware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to protect your PC.)

“If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.”

That is not a threat, folks, it’s a fact. Granted, the XP is not my primary computer anymore – I own a laptop with Windows 7, on which I do most of my work – however, I switched only because I know the XP will soon be just a file storage bin.

But … I’m not safe yet … even my Windows 7 is quaking in its boot-up.

As reported on BGR, “If you want a new PC but would prefer to get one with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8, then you’d better realize that your window is slowly closing. Paul Thurrott writes that Microsoft has officially set a deadline of October 31st, 2014 as the last day it will allow manufacturing partners to preload the assort Home editions of Windows 7 onto new machines.”

We’re assured that even if we buy a Windows 8 OS with our computer, and don’t like it, we can downgrade to 7. But don’t bother to toast your small victory at the bar.

Eventually, we will be accosted in the parking lot again and held hostage until we forfeit our hard-earned money for Windows 8 … and then Windows 9 … and then … and then …

While I’m picking on Microsoft, Apple is just as much a rotten apple of my eye. Their pc operating systems and phones also stalk your bank account, hostage bonds in hand.

My issue with all of them is that we are not allowed to enjoy our technology in the familiarity of “Cheers” (the neighborhood bar) and upgrade to a high end lounge when and IF we want to. And that valet-studded parking lot is no more secure.

Our level of comfort and customer loyalty at any stage should be taken into account before we are accosted with costly ransoms. It’s likely a vast majority prefer to eventually upgrade in their own time, not because they have to, but because they want to. Freedom … it’s the American way! (BTW, that’s said with tongue-in-cheek, considering today’s politics and laws. Let’s say it used to be …)

Allow me to demonstrate … this is my “new” version of ol’ Ben Franklin’s perfectly good adage: Nothing is certain except death and taxes –
and the latest technology upgrades stalking you to the grave
.

You can still quote him the same old way … or, feel free to use my upgrade. I won’t charge you a dime more.

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Be opinionated, but respectful, please! There will be a slight delay prior to your comment appearing, while it is reviewed. Thank you for commenting. Enjoy your day!